How to debug blocking programs

Torsten Anders torsten.anders at beds.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 11:59:41 CEST 2012

Dear Stewart,

On 8 Jun 2012, at 04:01, stewart mackenzie wrote:
> having a library to include then remove is just another form of awkward ?

Not a principle problem, but one of the reasons why I forgot about this debugging feature :)

I certainly agree that debuggers in general as we know them could be greatly improved. For a very interesting proposal for Oz programmers, see http://wolfgangmeyer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/debuggers-are-needlessly-tedious-to-use.html . Wolfgang presents there a debugger that shows some similarity to the debugging approach Bret Victor presented in his talk, a few years later (you recently shared the link  http://vimeo.com/36579366).

An omplementation for Wolfgang's debugger and other nice developer tools at http://code.google.com/p/oz-code/, see in particular Wolfgang's ozfind, http://ozfind.jottit.com/

> We are at the point where the code is coming alone beautifully under Sébastien's hard work. I merely worry that this feature request is above and beyond his call for duty. In other words this is an itch that needs scratching, (we all have) though is it that itchy that you or Raoul would be interested in implementing it yourself?

Great news, and I very much appreciate your concern about the debugging facilities of Mozart 2!  I can confirm from my experience that debugging concurrent programs can be very challenging and that every helpful tool is highly appreciated here.

Unfortunately, I am unable to contribute to the Mozart 2 development at this point for 2 reasons: I do not "speak" C++ (nor Scala), and my really heavy workload for my job hardly gives me any time for my own research :(   (I am at a teaching and not research-focused university, but I am also required to publish regularly.)  I am very sorry.

Best wishes,
Torsten

--
Dr Torsten Anders